Rashida Richardson is Director of Policy Research at New York University’s AI Now Institute, where she designs, implements, and coordinates AI Now’s research strategy and initiatives on the topics of law, policy, and civil rights. She previously worked as Legislative Counsel at the New York Civil Liberties Union (NYCLU), the New York state affiliate of the American Civil Liberties Union, where she led the organization’s work on privacy, technology, surveillance, and education issues. Prior to the NYCLU, she was a staff attorney at the Center for HIV Law and Policy, where she worked on a wide-range of HIV-related legal and policy issues nationally. She has also worked at Facebook Inc. and HIP Investor in San Francisco. Richardson currently serves on the Advisory Board of the Civil Rights and Restorative Justice Project, the Board of Directors of the College & Community Fellowship, and the Board of Trustees of Wesleyan University. She holds a JD from Northeastern University School of Law and a BA with honors in the College of Social Studies from Wesleyan University.
- Richardson, R. (2019). Win the war against algorithms: Automated Decision Systems are taking over far too much of government. Daily News.
- Richardson, R. (Ed.) (2019). Confronting black boxes: A shadow report of the New York City automated decision system task force. New York: AI Now Institute.
- Richardson, R., Schultz, J. M., & Southerland, V. M. (2019). Litigating algorithms 2019 US report: New challenges to government use of algorithmic decision systems. New York: AI Now Institute.
- Richardson, R., Schultz, J. M., & Crawford, K. (2019). Dirty data, bad predictions: How civil rights violations impact police data, predictive policing systems, and justice. New York University Law Review.
- Koene, A., Clifton, C., Hatada, Y., Webb, H., Patel, M., Machado, C., LaViolette, J., Richardson, R., & Reisman, D. (2019). A governance framework for algorithmic accountability and transparency. European Parliamentary Research Service.
- Whittaker, M., Crawford, K., Dobbe, R., Fried, G., Kaziunas, E., Mathur, V., West, S. M., Richardson, R., Schultz, J., & Schwartz, O. (2018). AI Now report 2018. New York: AI Now.
- AI Now. (2018). Algorithmic accountability policy toolkit. New York: AI Now Institute.