Robin Stevens (@DrRobinStevens) is an Assistant Professor in Nursing at the University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing and the Director of the Health Equity & Media Lab. She is also a Visiting Professor at the Center for AIDS Prevention Research at UC-San Francisco and a Senior Fellow at the Penn Center for Public Health Initiatives. She is a health communication scholar focused on achieving health equity in African American and Latino communities. Her research integrates public health and communication science to influence the individual, social and structural determinants that drive health inequity. Her area of expertise is in examining the relationship between new and traditional media and adolescent risk behavior. Her program of research is typified by two lines of inquiry; the quantification of new and traditional media effects on adolescent health behavior and the development of media informed HIV prevention interventions. She is the author of the recent article on “The Digital Hood”.
- Stevens, R., Brawner, B. M., Kranzler, E., Giorgi, S., Lazarus, E., Abera, M., Huang, S., Ungar, L. (2020). Exploring substance use tweets of youth in the United States: Mixed methods study. JMIR Public Health and Surveillance, 6(1).
- Stevens, R., Gilliard-Matthews, S., Dunaev, J., Todhunter-Reid, A., Brawner, B., & Stewart, J. (2017). Social media use and sexual risk reduction behavior among minority youth: Seeking safe sex information. Nursing Research, 66(5), 368-377.
- Stevens, R., Bernadini, S., & Jemmott, J. B. (2016). Social media in the sexual lives of African American and Latino youth: Challenges and opportunities in the digital neighborhood. Media and Communication, 4(3), 60-70.
- Stevens, R., Gilliard-Matthews, S., Dunaev, J., Woods, M. K., & Brawner, B. M. (2016). The digital hood: Social media use among youth in disadvantaged neighborhoods. New Media & Society, 19(6), 950-967.
- Stevens, R., & Hornick, R. (2014). AIDS in Black & White: The influence of newspaper coverage of HIV/AIDS on HIV/AIDS testing among African Americans and White Americans, 1993-2007. Journal of Health Communication, 19(8), 893-906.
- Stevens, R., Gilliard-Matthews, S., Nilsen, M., Malven, E., & Dunaev, J. (2013). Social environment and sexual risk- taking among gay and transgender African American youth. Culture, Health & Sexuality: An International Journal for Research, Intervention and Care, 15(10), 1148-1161.
- Stevens, R., & Hull, S. (2013). The colour of AIDS: an analysis of newspaper coverage of HIV/AIDS in the United States from 1992–2007. Critical Arts Projects & Unisa Press, 27(3), 352–369.